Saturday, September 12, 2009

Offensive Line

Russell Okung, Oklahoma State- Okung is probably one of the two-three highest rated returning OT’s, but I’m still looking for a good bit of improvement from him before I’m sold that he’s a sure fire first rounder. He has the size and feet to play on the left side in the NFL, but he had poor technique and consistency last year. Plus he seemed to get driven off the ball a bit too much because he had the tendency to get too high in his stance. Those are all minor things that can be worked on with some effort and coaching, so he may very well turn in a strong Senior year. This is a good Cowboys team, so Okung will get some time in the national spotlight.

Ciron Black, LSU- Black is very experienced but I’m not sold that he can be an NFL LT. He has struggled against speed rushers his past two years, and I don’t know if he will ever get quicker feet. If he can improve his kick step, he might work out, but more than likely will need to move to the right side. I’m just not too high on Black, but he’s a very experienced starter with potential to start in the NFL at RT or OG.

Trent Williams, Oklahoma- The only flaw in Williams’ game is that he can be a bit sloppy with his technique, but otherwise he is my favorite returning player at the position. The most important thing for me to watch with Williams will be how he handles the move from RT to LT. He did a good job on the right side last year, and proved that he is solid in both the pass and run game. He will face faster guys on the left side, so if he can handle that, I think he’s definitely a top 10 pick. If he does not handle the speed rush well, I still think he’s a first rounder as a RT.

John Jerry, Mississippi- Jerry was one of the better RTs I saw last year, so I’m excited to see what he will do this year with Michael Oher gone. I would guess they will move him to LT this year, but I’m not sure that will be the right decision. Jerry is a big, mauling run blocker who I think will be very good at the same position in the NFL. With a very strong team returning, it will be interesting to see if Jerry can stand out with all of the other talent.

Zane Beadles, Utah- This is a name you probably have not come across on other draft websites. I liked what I saw in Beadles last year, and the Utes will have their hands full with a tougher 2009 schedule after going unbeaten in 2008. Beadles had some of the best feet and pass blocking technique from all of the film I watched last year, and that is ultimately what will help push him up draft charts. If he can show he’s gotten stronger in the run game, and hold his own against the speed rush, I would not be surprised to see his name a lot more come post season time.

Sam Young, Notre Dame- Young is a four year starter and a definite RT. He was tried out at LT for a year, and the experiment did not work as he was not quick enough to stop the speed rushers. I still think that Young has shown enough improvement over his four years to warrant a late first or early second round grade. Being that he is strictly a RT, this may push his value a bit, but he’s still someone capable of starting right away at the next level.

Sergio Render, Virginia Tech- Render is the only interior offensive lineman I have listed as I just didn’t see many center or guard prospects that stood out in this draft class. Render is a solid all around player, and will prove his draft worth in week one against mammoth Alabama NT Terrance Cody.

No comments:

Post a Comment