Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Quarterback

This position lost all of its glitz and glamour when Andrew Luck went back to Stanford. I’m not quite as in love with him as Trent Dilfer (who I will state unequivocally that I cannot stand), who said he was the best QB prospect of the last 10-20 years, but I do like him enough to say he was a lock for the first overall pick.

Without Luck, you were left with what this class has to offer, nothing but question marks.

Blaine Gabbert is the best of the group in my opinion, but he’s not ready to start at the next level at all. I think this comment resonates for almost all of the prospects being looked at in the first three rounds.

Jake Locker has potential, but I think he needs the right offense and time to develop.

Cam Newton will never be a top level QB in my eyes. At a minimum, he’s going to need a few years to really develop into an NFL QB after playing in a gimmick offense in college.

Ryan Mallet is a wooden cigar Indian (thanks for that one Tom) with a cannon for an arm that he can’t get good control over. I’ve also heard rumors of character concerns, and I would not doubt this considering he melted down more than once this season in critical games.

Christian Ponder is like Luck in that he needs to go to the right offense, but with time could be a starter.

To me, all of these guys aren’t worth taking in the first half of the first round. With all of the question marks, I’d rather go with a higher rated player at a different position. My personal philosophy is that the QB is the most important position on the field, so if you spend a first round pick on one, you better be certain they will be your man for the next five to ten years. I don’t feel that strongly about any of these guys this year though.

What makes this even more of an issue is that several teams really need a franchise QB, and will take some of these players in the first round. If they don’t plan on starting a bridge veteran while this rookie develops, they will be making a big mistake. I don’t see any of these prospects being better off by starting now for a poor team in order to get experience. Teams in the back half of the first, like Seattle, those are the teams who I think would benefit from taking these prospects as they can afford to let them sit, learn, and develop. Look no further than America’s Sweetheart Aaron Rodgers for proof of the theory I am espousing here (although I had Rodgers over Smith in that draft!).

No comments:

Post a Comment