Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Wide Receiver

I expected this to be far and away the deepest position as far as star power, but it lost some luster with Justin Blackmon and Michael Floyd deciding to return to school. Having said that though, this is still a very deep position group with some absolute top-notch talent, and there is good enough depth as well. It’s also a good draft for teams looking at different types of receivers as you have some very good perimeter guys with great size/speed and smaller guys who are quick and will do well in the slot.

AJ Green is a super star WR and could possibly be the top overall pick in the draft with Luck no longer an option. I would not disagree with this either, as he’s the most NFL ready WR I have seen since Calvin Johnson (and I would argue he’s a better route runner than Johnson at the same point in their career). Green is the rare talent that is very good in all phases of the game, and his suspension earlier this year doesn’t bother me at all. His size, speed, and awareness are an offensive coordinator’s dream.

Julio Jones is not far behind Green either, and is also a prospect that I think is a super star in the making. Some ‘experts’ have said he has inconsistent hands, but the guy played more than one game with a broken hand and still managed to catch passes and make an impact. They just don’t make humans his size and his speed often, and those are elements you can’t teach. I love his willingness and ability to block as well. I don’t see any way he makes it out of the top ten either.

Jonathan Baldwin took a step back this year as far as production from the previous two years, but I feel this was more due to having an inexperienced QB throwing him the ball. I stand by what I said lat year about Baldwin in that I think in five years from now, we may end up saying he was the best player of these bug three. But Baldwin needs some time and refinement on his route running, so he may not make a huge impact right away. Those reasons may cause him to slip low enough for a team at the back end of the first round looking for a big game breaker (come on Angelo, if he’s there you take him!).

Torrey Smith came on strong this year and statistically had the biggest year of all of the top prospects. He’s not as big and strong as the previous three, but he seems to always find a way to get past coverage and make big plays. I think he’s the rawest of these prospects, which is why I wouldn’t be surprised to see him slip to the second round, but he is a solid receiving prospect that should merit first round consideration.

Other than these big name prospects, there are two guys who I think you should pay attention to in the second round onward. I’m highlighting these guys as I am looking at this from a Bears fan’s perspective, as I believe the Bears are lacking that big, physical playmaker at this position to draw coverage away from the open-field guys they have in Knox and Hester.

Tori Gurley of South Carolina came out early, and I suspect it has something to do with future super star Alshon Jeffery taking away the balls he would have gotten. I really like Gurley though as he is a big guy, with good game speed, and he can jump as well. He needs some good NFL style coaching, but he could be had in the third or fourth rounds, which is where the Bears would be looking at if they decide to attack the OL and CB position early.

Tandon Doss of Indiana is a guy I really liked last year, and I was also surprised he came out early. In this deep of a draft class, it was probably a mistake, but it’s a mistake some GM is glad he made as he will be a steal. He’s like Gurley in that he has very good size and leaping ability. He can overpower corners and outrun safeties, and he is really only starting to reach his potential since he’s young.

No comments:

Post a Comment