Saturday, April 25, 2009

First day wrap up

This was easily one of the craziest days in draft history that I can remember. Loads of trades, absolutely mental picks, and surprised abound. I’m angry the Bears didn’t pick on the first day, but in a draft full of poor choices, loading up on second day picks is fine with me. Quantity might be better than quantity. Here’s a recap of each team that actually drafted today (minus the Bears and Cowboys):

Cardinals: Beanie Wells and Cody Brown

Smart moves. Great RB and a rush OLB to boot. I think the Cardinals let the draft come to them and made smart moves.

Ravens: Michael Oher and Paul Kruger

If it weren’t for Maualuga falling to the second round, Oher is my steal of the draft. Both these picks are vintage Ravens, which make for great values at positions of need.

Bills: Aaron Maybin, Eric Wood, Jairus Byrd, Andy Levitre

I like Wood and Levitre but think they were reaches. Unger could have been had later and he’s a better player than Wood. I like Byrd and Levitre but both were reaches as well. Maybin is either going to have to move to OLB, or he’s going to be a bust. Bad drafting by the Bills.

Panthers: Everette Brown, Sherrod Martin

I really like both picks. They gave up enough once again to get these guys, but they are worth it. I’d be all for them signing Peppers to a lucrative long term deal as it would be worth it. These two make this team an even better playoff contender.

Bengals: Andre Smith, Rey Maualuga

I think the Bengals are right there for the best first day of any teams. You get two first team All-Americans who have some bust potential, but they also have HUGE upside. I think these were really smart picks even though they were risky.

Browns: Alex Mack, Brian Robiskie, Mohamed Massaquoi, David Veikune

Great trades by the Browns today. I LOVE all of these picks. I’m probably one of the few who will say that the Browns made some very shrewd and intelligent draft day trades. If they still trade Edwards for a first day pick next year, so be it. If not, they now have a deep stable of receiving threats. Mack is a day one starter and one of the smartest first round picks yet. Veikune is a very good pass rusher, and this team needs that desperately.

Broncos: Knowshon Moreno, Robert Ayers, Alphonso Smith, Darcel McBath, Richard Quinn

For one of the biggest drafters on day one, I think the Broncos did very poorly. The fact that they gave up their first rounder next year to get Smith is unreal. Don’t get me wrong, I love Smith, but not enough to give that high of a pick up. I will bet all of you that this will end up being a top 12 pick next year. That’s an extreme value for the Seahawks. I like Moreno…but he’s overdrafted. Same with McBath and Ayers. Quinn was a horrible pick period.

Lions: Matt Stafford, Brandon Pettigrew, Louis Delmas

I like all three of these players, they were just drafted too high. They will be solid pros, but not top level pros worth the position they were drafted at.

Green Bay Packers: BJ Raji, Clay Matthews

Great picks by the Packers. I hate to admit it, but it’s the best foot forward to start their 3-4 successfully.

Houston Texans: Brian Cushing, Connor Barwin

Two players that I love. Good potential, hard workers, versatile players. Barwin will help make Mario Williams be that much more unstoppable and Cushing makes this defense very scary next year. They are a sneaky pick for one of the better teams after day one.
Indianapolis Colts: Donald Brown, Fili Moala

Two solid players with good value. They will fill need and play right away. Smart drafting as usual by Bill Polian

Jacksonville Jaguars: Eugene Monroe, Eben Britton

The Jags seem to like to double up on one position lately. Last year was the DE’s, this year is OT. These were extremely smart picks at unreal values. I would have done the same thing, so I cannot argue (even though they signed Tra Thomas in the off-season).

Kansas City Chiefs- Tyson Jackson

Taking Jackson at three might have been the biggest mistake of the first round if it weren’t for Al Davis and the Raiders.

Miami Dolphins: Vontae Davis, Pat White, Sean Smith

Just another outstanding draft for Jeff Ireland and Bill Parcells. All three picks make great sense, even if I would have gone Smith over White.

Minnesota Vikings: Percy Harvin, Phil Loadholt

Both picks fill needs but both picks leave me wondering if either player will make a difference. I’m glad to see strange picks for a team within the NFC North as it makes it easier to run to the title.

New England Patriots: Patrick Chung, Ron Brace, Darius Butler, Phillip Vollmer

Just a very solid all around draft so far for the Pats. These were four of my favorite players. Some will cal these reaches, but as much as it pains me, this is one of the smartest drafts so far. Chung is an instant starter and potential star, Brace is great insurance behind Wilfork, Butler will start right away, and Vollmer will only get better. Just a smart and value added draft for the Pats. Bastards.

New Orleans Saints: Michael Jenkins

This was a smart pick so I will not argue since it’s the only pick they had.

New York Giants: Hakeem Nicks, Clint Sintim, William Beatty

Sintim was a bad pick for this defense, but that’s not a terrible pick for where it fell. Nicks will be a very solid starting NFL WR. Beatty will eventually take over at LT and push David Diehl inside to LG where he belongs. A smart and sensible draft by the Giants.

New York Jets: Mark Sanchez

QB of the future, ballsy move but I can’t argue. I hope he doesn’t struggle when asked to start right away.

Oakland Raiders: Darius Heyward-Bey, Michael Mitchell

Easily the worst first day draft yet. Reaches beyond anything I can think. Someone please put Al out of his misery and put a competent football man in charge of this front office.

Philadelphia Eagles: Jeremy Maclin, LeSean McCoy

These are absolutely great picks. Another very good NFC team got even stronger.

Pittsburgh Steelers: Ziggy Hood

Great pick! Smart, fills a need, and they pick up additional second day picks.

San Diego Chargers: Larry English’

I don’t get it. Maybe Merriman is hurt worse than we all know.

San Francisco 49ers- Michael Crabtree

GREAT pick, but a no brainer.

Seattle Seahawks: Aaron Curry, Max Unger

Two extremely solid picks, and first day starters. My favorite player and my third favorite OL.

St. Louis Rams: Jason Smith, James Laurinaitis

Smith is a great pick but passing on Maualuga for Luarinaitis was a mistake.

Tampa Bay Bucs: Josh Freeman

I won’t argue much as this is a two to three year down the road pick. It’s not the most important need to fill, so I’m a bit perplexed.

Tennessee Titans: Kenny Britt, Sen’Derrick Marks

Britt has his issues but he makes good sense for a WR needy team. Marks will help make the loss of Haynesworth negligible.

Washington Redskins: Brian Orakpo

This was Washington’s only pick on day one and they made it count. Orakpo was a bona-fide steal.

Atlanta Falcons: Peria Jerry, William Moore

This was a very solid draft. Two immediate starters

No comments:

Post a Comment