Tuesday, April 21, 2009

News and Notes

I’ll be releasing my final mock draft this week, just in time for the greatest weekend of the year, NFL Draft Weekend (April 24th and 25th, brought to you by the great folks at the NFL Network and ESPN). The mock will be the first three rounds at a minimum, and I may go to the fourth or fifth if I have the time. I will tip my hand in saying that I have really struggled with how I think the top 15 picks will go. I have a distinct feeling that there will be one or more trades within the 5-12 range, depending on what players fall. Also, I’m just not sold on either QB prospect, but they seem to be the two hottest names leading up to the draft. I think the success of Sanchez and Stafford will ultimately make or break whatever GM makes the move to draft them. To me, there is not too much separating the top 15 or so players in this draft. There are safe picks (like Aaron Curry) and there are picks with huge upside and a huge potential downside (like Andre Smith), and that is what will make for a very interesting first round of the draft. I also hold to my previous statements that this may be the worst draft for overall talent that I have seen in some time. There are some potential stars, but not a lot of them. And the depth is slim at best.

No comments:

Post a Comment