Monday, April 27, 2009

NFC South

Carolina Panthers

The Panthers had to be crafty as they did not have a first round pick after giving this to the Eagles last year to grab RT Jeff Otah. The Panthers struck again though, and gave up yet another first round pick (next year’s) to move up in the second round this year to grab the slipping Everette Brown of Florida State. You all know how much I loved Brown, so I’m shocked he made it this far. I think he may be my early choice for defensive rookie of the year, especially with Julius Peppers on the other side. Yes, he was a bit undersized, but his assortment of pass rush moves was outstanding and I think this is where he will make enough of an impact to warrant a much higher draft status. It’s a big price to pay, but I do expect the Panthers to be in the race for a playoff spot, so it won’t be a high pick.

Sherrod Martin was a very smart pick as well. He’s versatile enough to play corner or free safety, and he’s got an incredibly smooth backpedal and hip turn. He might push for a starting spot right away at FS, and if not he’s the starting nickel back.

The other absolute steal of the draft was getting Duke Robinson in the 5th round. He was my top rated guard, and I just don’t understand how he fell so far. But then again, I thought Donald Thomas was the best guard last year and he slipped just as far. I expect Robinson to push for a starting job right away, and with the chip on his shoulder for falling so far, I’m willing to bet he’s the starter by the time the first game comes around.

Overall a very solid draft.

Atlanta Falcons

The Falcons get a so-so draft grade from me. They made three very good picks, but the other picks were just very average at best.

Peria Jerry was one of my favorite defensive linemen, and he’s a great fit for this team. If he can stay healthy, he can have a Tommie Harris like impact for this team’s pass rush.

William Moore was worth a late second rounder, even though I’m still not sure who the real Moore is (the Junior year impact player or the Senior year afterthought).

Lawrence Sidbury in the 4th round was an absolute steal! He will immediately join the three man rotation at DE and he should help improve what was a fairly poor pass rush outside of John Abraham last year.

I was surprised to see the Falcons not spend more picks on the right side of the offensive line. Garrett Reynolds is not a starter at RT, no matter what anyone tries to say. Overall though it’s not bad, not great, but not bad

Tampa Bay Buccaneers

I’m not a fan of the Bucs draft outside of their third round pick.

Josh Freeman may end up being a better overall QB than Sanchez or Stafford, but he also has a lot more potential to bust as well. He’s definitely not ready to start right now, so it’s almost as if the Bucs are resigning themselves to a rebuilding stage over the next few years. To me, they would have been better off addressing defense and waiting on a QB (or letting Josh Johnson prove he can eventually be their future QB).

Roy Miller is a great pick that I liked a lot. I thought he would go lower than the third, but I had him valued that high.

Kyle Moore is a run stuffing DE with a small amount of pass rush potential. I think in this new defense, they want to have a smaller guy who pressures the QB from the weak side (Gaines Adams) and a guy to stuff the run on the strong side (Moore). So the pick makes sense even though I don’t expect Moore to be an impact player ever.

Seventh rounder Sammie Stroughter was a very good pick up, and he will make the team.

This defense needed more though, and another running back to add to the rotation would have been good as well. I see the Bucs taking a step back this year, and maybe for a few years.

New Orleans Saints


The Saints didn’t have many picks this year either after the Shockey trade from last year, so their draft grade isn’t great.

I cannot fault them on their first round pick of Malcolm Jenkins. I think he can play CB at the next level, but if I’m wrong, he can be an impact FS at worst.

Stanley Arnoux is more of a workout warrior at MLB than he is a polished football player, but I guess he fills depth and special teams potential.

Chip Vaughn was a great pick at SS and he will push for playing time right away. I liked him more than others did and I think he can be quality starter in the NFL.

No comments:

Post a Comment