Thursday, April 8, 2010

Mountain West- Utah

Zane Beadles, OT, Sr- Beadles took a step back this year in my opinion. He has good feet, and could definitely play LT at the next level but I don’t think he has the height or long enough arms to do so. He also has a bad habit of getting his head too far into the block, so he ends up getting shucked, thrown to the ground, or he lunges and ends up on the ground himself. He will more than likely need to move inside to guard, but I don’t know if he has the strength to be a premier player there. I think he will eventually be good though, and he reminds me a lot of Green Bay OG Darryn Colledge, who was as close of a comparison as I can think of from having watched both in college. He’s still got second or third round potential due to his ability to play several positions and because of his nimble feet and aggressive nature of play.

Jordan Wynn, QB, true Fr- Wynn has very good potential. He has a plus arm, very good accuracy, and he just needs to learn to play a bit smarter. This isn’t a big deal though as he is a true Freshman so I expect simple mistakes like the ones he made this year. He has all of the makings of a top shelf QB prospect though and he will be someone to watch closely.

David Reed, WR, Sr- Reed is a scrappy guy who will probably not get the notice he deserves. He has great hands, he has good speed, and he has the quick cuts and acceleration to make big plays from short throws. He’s just a reliable receiver who will make a difference but won’t go until the mid rounds as he’s not your prototypical outside receiver. He will make a great value pick wherever he goes.

Jereme Brooks, WR, Jr- I loved Brooks as a return man when he was a true Freshman, and in this game he showed some game breaking ability as a slot receiver. He is very short, and small in stature, so he’s never going to be a huge impact guy. But I think in next year’s draft, he would make an impact as a return man and a slot receiver. He has game breaking speed and acceleration that you can’t teach.

Eddie Wide, RB, Jr- Wide’s undersized but he has great straight line speed. If he can get to the hole cleanly, he can flat out run away from you. He’s someone to keep an eye on next year, even though I don’t see him as anything more than a late round complimentary back at the next level. His speed is evident on film though, which is impressive.

Koa Misi, DE/OLB, Sr- I really like Misi, and I’m not sure why I haven’t noticed him before this season. He’s an ideal fit as a rush OLB in the 3-4, and essentially plays this position at the collegiate level. He’s 260+lbs, so he has the size, he has a very good grasp of pass rushing and uses a variety of moves, he does a good job of coming in on delayed blitzes when in the two point, and he is effective in coverage as well. Misi has good straight line speed and in one game almost ran down a very fast running back that had a ten yard head start. No one really is saying much about him, but I think he has the goods. After writing this, it was nice to see people start to talk about Misi’s promise after looking very good at the Combine. It’s a shame it took people waiting until a workout in shorts and a t-shirt to notice that Misi is a top shelf prospect. I’d go as high as the early second round for Misi and I think he will come right in and start for a 3-4 team.

Stevenson Sylvester, OLB, Sr- I’m probably one of the biggest fans of Sylvester out there, so my opinions maybe slightly slanted due to what I have seen to date. If it weren’t for the times where Sylvester flat out makes bad reads and overruns plays, I think he’d be a lock for the first round. He’s just an impact player who shows up at his best when the bright lights are on. He’s solid in coverage, he explodes into tackles and hits, and he can rush the passer as well. He’s versatile enough to play at any LB position and do well. If he can go to a team with a good position coach and a veteran who will work with him on some of the finer points of reading his keys and such, he could grow into a Pro Bowl player. I may be way off on this one as I seem to be the only person tooting the Stevenson Sylvester horn but I’m standing by what I have seen from him on film. If he ends up not being as good as I thought, then I read him wrong, but I think he has the ability to be outstanding at the next level. If he went to a team like the Ravens, I think he’d excel sooner than later even though they have good depth at the position already.

Kepa Gaison, OLB, Sr- Gaison is good rushing off the edge, but he gets swallowed up against the run. He seems like an effort guy who will make a living on special teams though, and may get drafted very late or at least make a camp as a free agent.

Robert Johnson, FS, Sr- Johnson is a hammer, and he will blow receivers up if they come across the middle. I didn’t see him in coverage much though because the games I saw on him he was playing more in the box and the opposing teams didn’t throw deep up the middle. He looks like a solid prospect though at a position that is steadily becoming one of the deepest in the draft.

No comments:

Post a Comment