Thursday, April 8, 2010

Pac-10- California

Jahvid Best, RB, Jr- It’s too bad Best got hurt this year, as his durability was the only thing in my mind that would make me hesitate from drafting him in the mid to high first round. Once again this bit him though, and it bit him hard with the very nasty concussion. I think the questions about his durability cause him to slip to the second round, which is completely reasonable, and this will make him an outstanding value. I would be shocked if he makes it past the Lions in the second round, and he should immediately provide them with a home run hitter in the backfield.

Kevin Riley, QB, Jr- Riley has some potential and is someone I will watch closely next year. Good accuracy, good arm, the only thing I don’t like is he winds up a bit with his throwing motion. There is enough there though to think he can be in the mix next year as potentially being an NFL caliber QB.

Shane Vereen, RB, So- With Best leaving for the NFL, the feature back role is all Vereen’s. He’s compact, runs low, and has game breaking speed. Expect Vereen to be on many highlight reels next year; he has first round potential written all over him.

Brian Holley, FB, Sr- I don’t think he’s dratable as he does not do the little things a good blocking back should like keep his feet moving on contact.

Mike Tepper, LT, Sr- There is something there with Tepper. He has the length to play OT, but he just needs to work on playing with a bit better knee bend, and he also could use some more lower body strength to hold the POA. The Shrine game proved to me that Tepper does not have the foot speed to play LT at the next level. He got abused around the edge several times in this game. It also raises a bit of concern for me that even RT might be a struggle for him, but I do think there is enough potential there to take a stab at him in the late rounds as a swing tackle and versatile back up.

Tyson Alualu, DE/DT, Sr- I would not be surprised at all to see Alualu make his way into the first round due to what I am calling the ‘Tyson Jackson effect’. I never thought Tyson Jackson was that great last year, I would go as far as saying I would have never drafted him until the end of the first, and he went third overall to the Chiefs. Alualu is better than Jackson, but that doesn’t mean he will go in the top 10. He has the size and strength to play the five technique and be outstanding at the position, he has the speed to play a 4-3 power end, and he even has enough bulk to line up as a three technique in a Cover-2. He has good straight line speed, and can rush the passer around the edge as well. I really like what I have seen in Alualu’s overall game and I would be very surprised if he made it into the middle part of the second round. Whatever team takes him will get a versatile player who will be a very good value no matter where he’s taken.

Eddie Young, OLB, Sr- I don’t see it in him as he just seems late to break on everything.

Devin Bishop, ILB, Sr- Bishop can absolutely blow plays up, but he doesn’t play with good technique. He’s raw, and needs work, but has some athleticism. I think he’s worth a stab in the late rounds as a developmental prospect, especially for a 3-4 team.

Mike Mohamed, ILB, Jr- Mohamed is a very good prospect for next year. He needs to get stronger and work on shedding blockers faster, but he has very good field awareness and ability. Good speed, good tackling skills, and he is relentless in chasing the play.

Syd’Quan Thompson, CB, Sr- Thompson reminds me of Alphonso Smith from Wake Forest last year in that he has everything you want in a lock down corner except for ideal height. He’s aggressive in coming in against the run and will shoot like a bullet at a runner’s legs. He’s physical on the jam, and he has good ball skills. He’s smart in zone coverage and reads routes well, so he knows when to break. I think he’ll make a steal in the second to third round for a team who doesn’t care if he is only 5’9”. His 40 times at the Combine and Pro Day were not encouraging either, so I could see him sliding to the late third and becoming a nice value there. He’s perfect for a Cover-2 defense.

No comments:

Post a Comment