Tuesday, March 9, 2010

ACC- North Carolina

Marvin Austin, DT, Jr- I’m really glad Austin decided to come back for his Senior year, as I want to see more before declaring him a first round lock or a top half of the draft type of player. He’s definitely talented, a very solid two way DT. He holds his ground well in the run game with strong hands and punch, and he is a good pass rusher for an interior lineman. I really like that he does not quit on plays. He will carry a first round grade into next year, when there won’t be so many top shelf DT prospects like this year, and another solid year should push his grade up.

Quan Sturdivant, MLB, Jr- I’m very glad Sturdivant decided to come back, as I think he needs to work on getting stronger. He can get washed by blockers too easily over the middle, and he seems to struggle moving backward in zone coverage as well. I think his size will always hurt him, and he will need to be out in a defense where he can be kept clean and make plays, but there is upside there.

Bruce Carter, OLB, Jr- Carter is a very good pass rushing prospect who is a prototypical SLB. He can cover TEs and he can really hit the edge. He’s also very strong in the run game as he uses his hands to keep the point. I think coming back was the right move, and this UNC defense is absolutely stacked with solid talent. If he can stay healthy and even show slight improvements, I think he’s also about as close to a first round lock as you can get going into next season.

Robert Quinn, DE, So- Future pass rushing all-star. Quinn has an unbelievable first step, he gets the corner immediately, and he can really flatten and get to the passer. What I like most is his field awareness. He does a great job of knowing when to plant, change directions, and chase plays the other direction. Quinn plays to the whistle, and I love that he has the hustle and the talent combined. It will take him a long way, and he would be a sure fire first rounder if he comes out early next year. In my opinion, he’s the best of the bunch of these very talented UNC defenders.

E.J. Wilson, DE, Sr- I think Wilson is a very nice, quiet prospect. He possesses good speed around the corner and he looks big on film. I want to see his measurables because he looks like he is a very good down DE prospect that people don’t seem to be talking about. He’s solid holding the point against the run as well. If he measures as big as I think he will, he might even be able to slide down and play the five technique, which pushes his value up even more. I think he’s a slid sleeper pick to remember come draft day.

Cam Thomas, DT, Sr- Thomas did not get the publicity of the other more highly regarded UNC defensive linemen this season, but I think he deserves some credit. He’s very tall with long arms, and is big as well. I think he’d make a very good 3-4 NT, which means he is more than likely not getting out of the second round.

Zack Pianalto, TE, Jr- Pianalto is a guy to watch next year. He’s a good effort blocker, has good hands, and runs nice short and intermediate routes. Not a game breaker, but a solid back up type TE.

TJ Yates, QB, Jr- Not a good QB. Nothing more to say than that.

Kyle Jolly, LT, Sr- Does not have the feet to play LT, and he’s not strong enough in the run game to play on the right side or inside at guard. A late rounder at best.

No comments:

Post a Comment