Saturday, March 20, 2010

Big Ten- Ohio State

Thaddeus Gibson, DE/OLB, Jr- Gibson is all athlete like Vernon Gholsten was when he came out. The only good thing about this is that teams will be weary about his workout numbers with the bust so far that we’ve seen with Gholston. His measureables may get him drafted in the second round, but to me he’s more of a situational pass rusher with upside to grow into a 3-4 OLB starter over time. He’s just too inconsistent with his technique and reads to be an every day player at this point. He cost himself some money by coming out early, but some team will fall in love with his potential and grab him in the second round. Don’t expect much more from him in the first three years other than as a spot rusher and back up.

Doug Worthington, DT/DE, Sr- Worthington is one of my super sleeper picks. He can play the 3-4 DE position as he is longer/taller than your normal DT. The need for this position should improve his draft status, and I think he’s definitely playing out of position as an interior tackle. 3-4 DE is where he needs to play and he might be a better pro because of this. He has good power and decent pass rushing. He even chases the play well. What I like most is that I have seen him knock down numerous passes at the line as he seems to have that knack for knowing when to get his hands into the passing lanes to knock down lower throws. I expect him to show up in blocking kicks as well as he has those long arms and the tall frame to be a beast at this in the NFL. I could see him going as high as the third round, and I think that’s a great value, but if he slides further than that he’s an absolute steal.

Cameron Heyward, DE, Jr- I feel that Heyward was the most underrated DL in the country this season. I’m shocked he came back for his senior year, but to me, he’s one of my top 3-5 players overall coming back. There really isn’t a spot in his game that is a weakness. To me, he’s next year’s Ndamakong Suh as he has a very similar build and style. He can beat you with power, he can beat you with speed, and he has very good field awareness. He’s just a complete prospect and as long as he stays healthy, he’s a sure fire first rounder and to me a top five pick potentially. I don’t know how he can get better to be honest as I think he’s already extremely well rounded.

Kurt Coleman SS, Sr- On film Coleman never really stood out. He was aggressive and solid coming up against the run, but he’s a bit of a liability in coverage. He’s a solid late round pick as a back up and special teams player though, so he has value.

Anderson Russell, FS, Sr- I’m not a big fan of Russell’s He seems to have solid tackling skills but he does not fill hard. He lets the runners get to him instead of getting downhill and making plays sooner. To add to this, he’s undersized and he seems to have poor hands (in one game he dropped what was the easiest pick anyone can ever hope for).

Ross Homan, OLB, Jr- Homan has a very bright future and I really like him. He’s versatile enough to play inside or on the strong side. He’s solid in zone coverage and has made more than one very good heads-up interception in several games. I’ll be watching him very closely next year as he’s one of the better returning LBs in all of college football.

Brian Rolle, MLB, Jr- Rolle’s size is a major issue, and I really think they’d do better to move Homan to the middle and Rolle to the outside. He’s just too short and small to take on blockers and still be able to make plays. He can tackle though, so he may fit as a WLB. Rolle has another year, but expect to hear this as his major drawback next year.

Terrelle Pryor, QB, So- I don’t care what anyone tries to say, Terrelle Pryor will NEVER be an NFL QB. He’s horrible at this point, and I just don’t see how he can improve enough in his last two years. He’s a phenomenal athlete and can run like a gazelle, but he’s a QB, so throwing is much more important than running. He’s terribly inaccurate, he does not scan the field when on the run, and his touch is non-existent. I’m being a bit harsh and some may even call me a ‘hater’ but I just don’t see it. I know the comparison to Vince Young will come up very often, but Young was a much better passer than Pryor at this point.

Dan ‘Boom’ Herron, RB, So- I like Boom a lot. He’s very explosive, great speed to the corner, he shows good running power, and good hands as well. I really like that he runs with solid forward lean, so he’s always getting positive yardage. Herron has the looks of a future first rounder, and that future may be as a Junior next season.

Brandon Saine, RB, Jr- Saine has very good hands out of the backfield, and ran the wheel route perfectly in their bowl game. He’s got good speed, and he runs low and behind his pads (much like Herron). Saine is a good, versatile, well rounded RB prospect for next year. The biggest plus is he has always shared carries so he will still be fresh for a player his age and experience level.

Dane Sanzenbacher, WR, Jr- Sanzenbacher is a crafty slot receiver in the mold of Anthony Gonzales. He gets open with quickness, and he’s a reliable middle of the field receiver who moves the chains. I’d like to see him get stronger so he can get off the jam on the exterior better, but I think he can be the hot slot receiver for next year’s draft.

Devier Posey, WR, So- Posey has very good potential because of his speed, quick cuts, and solid hands. It’s too bad his QB does not help him out any which makes me think he could eventually be a better pro than collegian.

Jake Ballard, TE, Sr- He played the role of blocker more often than not in this offense. When asked to make catches, he shows solid hands, but I like his value late as a back up who can block in short yardage situations.

Justin Boren, LG, Jr- Boren is one of the better guard prospects for next season. He’s a very good run blocker, and good enough as a pass blocker, and his stock will only go up.

Michael Brewster, OC, So- Brewster is a true Sophomore who could eventually be the rare first round center prospect. He needs some more bulk in the lower body, but he has good overall technique and leverage. He shows the technique of a player much older than he is, and I would not be surprised to see him make the jump after next season.

Jim Cordle, RT/OG, Sr- Cordle played LT, RT, and OC this season and I think he played them all poorly. I don’t see him as being draftable.

Ray Small, WR/KR, Sr- Small is an explosive kick returner. He’s not a big receiving threat, but has very good vision, good size, and great burst and long speed. His value is as a returner as I think that it almost strictly where he will contribute for some team. He can do this right away though and make an impact in this phase of the game.

No comments:

Post a Comment