Saturday, March 20, 2010

Big East- South Florida

Jason Pierre-Paul, DE, Jr- I’m just not buying into the hype on Pierre-Paul that everyone else is. Is he a good pass rusher? Yes, I’d say this is his strength, but to me it’s his only strength. He’s a huge liability in the run game, and he’s very, very raw as a pass rusher. He looks like Selvie did as a red shirt Sophomore, all speed around the edge with the occasional bull rush. I think he was smart by coming out while he was hot, but I think it’s a mistake if someone takes him in the top 15 picks. He is absolutely not an every down 4-3 DE at this point, and he’s going to be a major project if you want to transition him to 3-4 OLB. I refuse to jump on the hype train with him, but that doesn’t mean I am saying he will be a bust. I just think he will be drafted much higher than his production will ever merit at the next level. Remember who said that when this happens. And if in the next three years he proves me wrong, I will admit I missed the boat on him as a prospect.

George Selvie, DE, Sr- I think Selvie is suffering from ‘paralysis by analysis’. He’s been considered a top prospect for the past two years, so everyone is watching closely and paying attention to all of the warts. I was never convinced he was a first rounder like some outlets had listed him, but he can rush the passer, so he has value. My problem is Selvie has steadily disappeared over the past two years. He looks bigger and stronger at the point than he did two years ago, but he seems to have lost that explosive and aggressive first step. It’s to the point that I think he’d even be a slight reach in the third round, but you have to think that he has shown the potential in the past to be a very good edge rusher. He really needs to go to a team with a solid DL coach who can help him learn a solid secondary pass rush moves and how to use his hands better to stack the line. If he’s there when the Bears pick in the fourth round, and I expect him to be, I wouldn’t be surprised to see Angelo pull the trigger. I don’t think it would be the best move, but it would make sense from a value and fit standpoint.

Aaron Harris, DT, Sr- Harris is an undersized pass rushing style undertackle, but I think he’s undraftable. He hustles well and chases the play to the whistle, which I like, but his size will hurt him in the NFL. He has a shot at maybe sneaking in to the 7th round but that’s about it.

Kion Wilson, MLB, Sr- Wilson has some positives to his style of play. He’s excellent in the run game. He has good instincts, he has decent technique, he sifts through the trash well, and he really runs through the ball carrier to make the tackle. What hurts his stock is that he is very poor moving backward in pass coverage. His hips are very stiff and he just look uncomfortable trying to drop back into zones, so unless he can work on this, he’s strictly a two-down run defender. I think some of these things could be covered up well by plying him inside in a 3-4 though, and he just may end up being a very nice sleeper pick for a team that runs this style of defense. He’s probably a 4th rounder or so, but I see enough in him to think that he can definitely play in the NFL.

Chris Robinson, OLB, Sr- Robinson is just very raw. He’s athletic, with good speed, and seems to have good enough athleticism, but his technique and instincts are poor at best. When teams ran at him, OTs and TEs were able to completely wash him out of plays because he does not do a good job of using his hands to disengage from blockers. I don’t think he’s draftable, unless he’s being viewed as only a special teams player.

Nate Allen, FS, Sr- Allen has gotten lost in the depth of the other big name safeties in this draft (like Eric Berry, Earl Thomas, and Taylor Mays). I REALLY like Allen and I think some team is going to get a gem of an instant starter in the second round. To be honest, I wouldn’t be at all surprised to see him sneak into the end of the first round. He’s got great instincts in the deep middle, he can cover slot receivers step for step, and what’s best is he is an excellent tackler. He does a great job of taking the proper angles to the runner and stopping them in their tracks. Several times I saw him wall off the ball carrier right near the first down marker, and this shows an uncanny awareness of field position. He’s just a very good all around prospect in a draft that is absolutely stacked with safety prospects. I think he’s better than Mays.

Jerome Murphy, CB, Sr- Murphy is really hard to read. At times he shows a great ability to stay with the receiver, read the QB, cut routes off, and make athletic picks. But then you see him backpedal and his transition is really poor. This hip tightness could be magnified in the NFL, and that concerns me. The pluses are that he’s excellent in the run game, he’s physical, and he seems to always be around the ball making plays. He may be forced to play the nickel to help cover up some of this shortcomings, or he may even be moved to safety, which could be his ideal position in the NFL. He has enough to warrant a look in the third round though, but he’d be a very solid value in the early 4th for certain.

B.J. Daniels, QB, rs Fr- Daniels has a few attributes that will excite some people, but I don’t think he will ever be an NFL QB. He’s right in line with this recent crop of very good athletes playing the position that just can’t put it all together. He has very good speed and athleticism, his arm is strong enough to make all the throws, but he is very streaky with his accuracy and he automatically takes off when the pocket breaks down. What really turned me off this kid was that he drops back far too deep in the pocket to try to make a play, but ends up getting sacked for a huge loss. He’s young though, so I won’t pass judgment just yet.

Mo Plancher, RB, Sr- Not draftable. Nothing I saw made me think he can play at the next level.

Carlton Mitchell, WR, Jr- I have no idea why Mitchell came out early. He’s sloppy in his routes and even sloppier with catching the ball outside of his frame. It’s so bad at times that more than once I saw the ball skip off his shoulder pads, and he basket caught the rebound to barely make the catch. Those inconsistencies mean he is an absolute project, and who knows if he will ever develop into anything substantial. He has good speed, which will make some team take the risk, but I wouldn’t touch him any time before maybe the fourth or fifth round.

Jessie Hester, WR, Sr- Hester has very good acceleration, but he’s undersized and has to play in the slot. He shows some promise though, and he can really make plays in the open field on quick outs where he can run after the catch. He’s going to slide come draft day, but he’s a bit like Johnny Knox in that his speed makes him a threat worth drafting and finding a spot on your roster for him in the later rounds.

Sampson Genus, OC, Jr- Genus is a guy to watch closely next year. He’s nasty, big, and finishes blocks. He’s the exact kind of center teams are looking for now in that he’s big enough and thick enough in the legs and butt to move the big 3-4 NTs off the ball. He needs to work more on not getting too far in front of his feet, but it’s a minor knock. I really like what I saw in this kid though.

No comments:

Post a Comment