Sunday, February 22, 2009

Capitol One Bowl: Georgia vs Michigan State

Georgia:

Matt Stafford, QB– Stafford is the consensus top QB in this draft, but I don’t think that should mean much other than this is a very weak QB draft. Physically speaking, Stafford has everything you look for in a top shelf franchise QB. His arm is strong enough to make any throw in the NFL, and he’ll have one of the best arms out of all QBs once he enters the NFL. The curse to this blessing is that it gives him what I call ‘Bret Favre Syndrome’. Stafford knows he has a great arm, and it leads him to trusting it to make throws he has no business making. Like Favre, it’s a great thing to have a guy who can laser a ball into a tight window and make plays other QBs can’t. But at the same time, it also leads to more interceptions than is acceptable (like Favre also). Stafford needs to work on his touch, and his decision making, but everything else is there when you look for that top five draft pick. His inconsistency scares the hell out of me, and I would personally not draft him in the top five. If I were picking somewhere between 8-15, I’d be perfectly comfortable with this. At the end of the day though, Stafford will probably be the number one overall pick because QB’s are valued the highest in the NFL. I’m just not so sure that he won’t be the next Alex Smith and not live up to those expectations, especially if asked to play right away for Detroit. He has the promise, but he also has the nicks that scare me too.

Geno Atkins, DT- Atkins is your typical undertackle in a 4-3 defense. He’s a bit under sized, but he’s quick and gets into the backfield in a hurry. His game is built on quickness off the ball, and he’s a very good pass rusher for an inside player. With getting good penetration like he does, he unfortunately also gets his shoulders turned sometimes and can get completely washed out in the running game. Another year to get bigger and stronger will help him, but he has first round ability for next year’s draft.

Knowshon Moreno, RB- I really like Moreno’s toughness and ability. He’s a genuine football player, and a throwback to the older generation of player. But like those players, Moreno isn’t the most physically gifted back around. He’s got great balance and vision, which allow him to make guys miss in the short to intermediate area. But he seems to lack the second gear to run away from guys, and he’s a smaller back, which makes it very strange. He does know how to take a hit and he runs with good pad level and forward lean. But his size makes me worry about his ability to hold up to the rigors of an NFL beating. He’s best fit as a complimentary back, and I think his 40 times will decide if he goes in the late first or early second round. He’s a quality football player, and the kind of RB I want on my team, but I would be happier getting him in the second round instead of the first.

AJ Green, WR- A true Freshman WR, Green is one of the brightest prospects I’ve seen at his position. He has great body control, amazing hands, and game breaking speed. He’s a big receiver as well, and still has another two years to grow into his body with a college strength and conditioning program. If he can keep working on the little things like his route running and strength, I full expect him to be a top 5-10 pick two years from now.

Asher Allen, CB- I’m really not sure why Allen declared, as I think he still needs some time to fully develop. He has good speed and his man coverage ability looks good, but he’s undersized and needs to get stronger on the jam. Because of his potential, he’ll go higher than I would think, but I’d stick him as a third rounder.

Danell Ellerbe, MLB- Ellerbe is very undersized for his position, and it’s enough that I’m not sure if he will ever be able to play ILB even in a 3-4. He has fairly good instincts, and he attacks the line with good technique, but he will get overwhelmed by NFL blockers. He will get drafted late though and would be good on special teams.

Mohamed Massaquoi, WR- He’s a big WR, with good hands, and runs good routes. The only thing about him is he struggles to get off the jam, and that’s a major concern for me. He won’t fit well as a slot receiver, and if he can’t get off the jam in college, he’ll never be able to do this on the boundary as a pro.

Michigan State:

Brian Hoyer, QB- I don’t think Hoyer has the arm to play in the NFL. He has the height, and he seems fairly accurate, but his arm is just not enough.

Javon Ringer, RB- I really like Ringer. He’s an undersized guy who runs a lot harder than his height and weight. The only concern I have about him is the mileage they put on his tires this past season. He had an enormous amount of carries as this passing game was not very good, so I’m a but worried he will wear down faster than other backs. His style reminds me a lot of Carolina’s DeAngelo Williams. He runs tough on the inside, but he also has the speed to hit the corner and outrun people. He has very good cutback ability, runs low, can make guys miss, and can break tackles. I think he’d be a perfect fit in Denver’s zone running attack, and if they can get him somewhere in the third or fourth round, he’d be a steal.

Greg Jones, MLB- Jones is a MLB to keep an eye on next year. He’s very instinctive, reads his keys very quickly, and makes the play. Jones is a very solid two way defender and would fit well as a true MLB in a 4-3.

No comments:

Post a Comment