Sunday, February 22, 2009

Gator Bowl: Nebraska vs Clemson

Nebraska:

Ndamukong Suh, DT– Suh is a VERY impressive looking prospect. I was very surprised to see him come back for his Senior year seeing the weak crop of DTs available in this year’s pool. He is tall for the position, but is extremely quick off the ball, and is always getting penetration into the backfield. He can play DT in a 4-3, and might even be able to be a difference maker at 3-4 DE. In fact, he reminds me a lot of the Patriots Richard Seymour in his build and style of play. He has the potential to be a top 15 pick next year if he can build on what he did this past year.

Tye Steinkuhler, DT/DE- I like his heart and hustle, and he seems to be another guy who can play 3-4 DE. He’s a bit too small to play DT in the NFL, but I think he might be a decent late round pick up for a 3-4 team with time to groom him as an end.

Matt Slauson, OG- Not a bad OG prospect, but has some downside. He has a tendency to let defenders into his chest too much, so he can get driven back at the POA. That’s being fairly picky though as he is a solid value at the position. Like most guards, I wouldn’t expect to see him come off the board until the fifth or sixth round, but he has the ability to eventually start in the NFL.

Clemson:

Michael Hamlin, FS- I’m not a fan of Hamlin’s, even though some other draft experts like him. He looks afraid of contact, and when he comes in to make a tackle, he doesn’t wrap up. He’s not my favorite safety prospect this year, that’s for sure.

Cullen Harper, QB- I don’t think he’ll ever be an NFL QB because he’s far too inconsistent with his mechanics and he makes bad decisions. I wouldn’t draft him, but I assume he will come off the board in the seventh round.

CJ Spiller, RB- I’m shocked Spiller came back for is Senior year, but it might not be a bad idea. He has the chance to be one of the top three RBs in next year’s class, so it was probably a smart idea in the end. He’s a home run hitter as a runner, returner, and as a receiver out of the backfield. Without having to share carries with the overrated James Davis next year, Spiller should shine. I liken him to a Chris Johnson of the Titans. Maybe not quite as fast, but he’s close. He has game changing ability and is a sure fire first rounder barring injuries.

James Davis, RB- I’ve always thought Davis was overrated by other draft experts. He doesn’t have that wiggle the great runners have, and he’s strictly a north/south runner. His speed isn’t there on tape, and I wouldn’t risk anything higher than a 5th rounder on him.

Jacoby Ford, WR- I really liked what I saw from Ford. He has good speed, and he showed a very good ability to get off the jam at the line of scrimmage. He’ll make for a very good value as a late round pick.

Aaron Kelly, WR- Kelly needs to run a good 40 time at the combine to move up in the draft. Otherwise he’s going to be strictly used in the red zone. He has good height, good leaping ability, and good hands. He’s just not consistent enough to rank any higher than the middle rounds. A poor 40 would push him into the late rounds.

No comments:

Post a Comment