Thursday, February 5, 2009

Team Needs: NFC North

This is the first installment of the ‘team needs’ section where I will breakdown what I believe these teams need most.

Since it’s the blog format this year, I’m going to do these by conferences to break it up a bit.

Detroit Lions

What can you say about the poor, hapless Lions? On one hand, I feel sorry for their fan base, but on the other hand, I’m glad to have them in the conference with my favorite team. Two wins a year is always nice. The fans and team have no one else to blame but ownership for this mess. Keeping Matt Millen at the GM position for as long as they did was a colossal failure. Unfortunately they have continued this trend by promoting the new GM from within the organization. You have to admire the loyalty of the Ford family for sticking with what they thought was right, but they have to know this is a BAD idea. You can’t change the losing culture that has embedded itself in this franchise without blowing things up and making a large fundamental change. Hiring Jim Schwartz is a good start though. He’s been ready to be a head coach for some time, and I personally like the guy as he believes heavily in using statistical methods and computer programs for breaking down tendencies of opposing teams. Anyone who can excite the secret math nerd in me, plus effectively run a defense, has my vote any day of the week. The task in front of Schwartz is large, but there are a few positives. Calvin Johnson is better than advertised. I think he’s already one of the top five WR’s in the NFL, and it will only be his third year coming up. Last year’s rookie RB Kevin Smith started to show some signs once they decided to hand the ball of to him full time. I expect Scott Linehan to utilize him more as they will no doubt be relying on either a rookie QB, or a sub par veteran from their current collection. Gosder Cherilus (last year’s first rounder) had some ups and downs as a rookie, but he looks to be firmly entrenched as their starting RT for the foreseeable future. Ernie Sims is also a very good WLB, and is about the only bright spot on the defense, but he has to stay healthy. DT Cory Redding disappeared last year after signing a big contract, but I think that was more to do with the lack of talent around him. And that’s about it folks! This team has some major needs, but also has five picks in the first three rounds. The first overall pick is going to be hotly debated all the way to draft day. Most experts will tell you that you have to take the QB if you don’t already have a franchise guy. The problem I have with this is that neither of the top two QB prospects (Matt Stafford and Mark Sanchez) are worth being picked this high. So do the Lions swallow hard and pick a guy like Stafford knowing there is a ‘buyer beware’ tag attached? Or does the defensive minded head coach make a push for a safer pick, like Wake Forest OLB Aaron Curry? Or going even further into the realm of insanity, do the Lions consider taking Texas Tech WR Michael Crabtree if he is indeed rated as the top prospect independent of position? Fans will more than likely burn the team’s complex down if they did this though, blaming the ghost of Millen for a fourth top 10 WR within the past six or so years. Any way they slice it this team needs to find a starting OG, an SLB, potentially a MLB, at least one CB, a WR, a TE, maybe a LT (allowing them to move Jeff Backus to the LG position), a big DT, and a pass rushing DE. Oh yeah, and they have to decide if Drew Stanton is the future, or if they decide to take the face of the franchise this year. I know this; it can’t get worse than 0-16 (unless they go 0-16 for two straight years).

Green Bay Packers

As always, I’d prefer to not even cover the hated Packers. But for journalistic integrity, I must. Green Bay made some big news this off-season by hiring Dom Capers to lead the defense. As most of you know, Capers prefers the 3-4, and head coach Mike McCarthy has already said they want to move to this as the base defense. I’ve got a major problem with this because the team currently has 4-3 personnel, and it will take at least a year or two of drafting to fill the right needs. So for personal reasons, I hope they try it this year and fail miserably. If they do go the 3-4 route, they will need to find a true NT to stuff the run most importantly, but they will also need to find some DE/OLB’s. Aaron Kampman might be able to play either the down end, or the stand up OLB, but 4-3 end is his strength. I’m just a bit puzzled as to whether or not they will commit completely in year-one to this defense. Hopefully they run a hybrid so they can still use the personnel they have, while acquiring the guys for the 3-4 in year-two. The Packers have two great press man corners, but both Charles Woodson and Al Harris are not young anymore. So I could see the Packers snatching up someone like Ohio State CB Malcolm Jenkins if he slips to them. They also need to consider their long term replacements for both their OTs. Mark Tauscher is a free agent and coming off a blown out knee, and Chad Clifton isn’t getting any younger. The Packers could look at TE as well, but I think that they are fine with what’s in house right now. When it’s all said and done, I expect them to draft defense heavy in order to get the 3-4 personnel in place.

Minnesota Vikings

I hate to say this, but the Vikes are built to last. Adrian Peterson is a monster, and it appears my concerns about his injury history don’t apply any more. He’s now the best RB in the NFL as he can do it all even when the defense is keying hard on him. Now if only the Vikings could find themselves a QB. Tarvaris Jackson showed a bit more this year, but he’s still far from being considered a franchise QB. I personally still think that he’s not starting material. His inability to stay in the pocket, make his reads, and be willing to eat a sack if needed is annoying. His athletic ability actually hurts him in this aspect as he’s far too quick to tuck it and run. Drafting another QB is not going to do it. I think Minnesota needs to make a big push for a veteran like Jeff Garcia, or possibly trade their first rounder for Matt Cassel. The trade for Jared Allen was immensely successful last year, so I would not count this out. If the Vikings don’t make this move, then I think they only have a few needs they have to address in this draft. They could use another shut down CB, and luckily that is a deep position in this draft. Good talent will be there in the first round, or even through the third. RT is a must, as Ryan Cook is not good. But I can’t say I’m surprised, as I was shocked when they drafted him as early as they did. He was an OC in college, so I think they may be better off trying to move him back there and drafting a right tackle. If they do make that move, it would help strengthen two positions as Matt Birk is a free agent and they are unlikely to re-sign him. They do have former Notre Dame center John Sullivan waiting in the wings, but I’m not sure they are ready to hand the position over to him. While EJ Henderson is a very good MLB, he’s always hurt. So the Vikings need to seriously consider taking someone as either a back up or potential long term replacement. They could look at WR as well for depth, but this isn’t a pressing concern with what they have in house already.

Chicago Bears

For anyone new to my coverage, I will state right now that I am an unapologetic Bears fanatic. I live and breathe Chicago Bears football. So if there is any team on here who’s needs I know best, it’s this team’s. So we just missed the playoffs for a second consecutive year, and I’m left to wonder if this is a blessing or a curse. It’s nice to be in the hunt, even if it meant making the playoffs then losing in the first round. But it also sucks because I know how much this team needs in order to keep competing, and now we’re stuck with a second half of each round pick. The good that has come out of this is that the Bears are in an enviable position where they can let the draft fall to them. There are always one or two guys who fall a lot further than most people will think, and I’m hoping this happens again this year. Then Chicago can take advantage of the luxury of picking the best player available at any of the following needs: FS, CB, DE, SLB, WR, OC, OG, RT. For a few of these positions, there aren’t many first round talents at these positions that I anticipate being available. And it will also heavily depend on who is brought in through free agency. I personally think that free safety is their biggest need. Yes, I know the WR’s suck, but so do our current FS’s (who are pretty much non-existent at this point). Moving Daniel Manning back after Mike Brown got hurt was a mistake. I don’t know why this coaching staff keeps moving Manning around so much, and it shows in his play. When they left him at nickel back for the first portion of the season, he used his great athleticism to make plays. He can blitz, he can tackle, and he has the speed to cover man-up. But his instincts are poor, which is the biggest attribute needed when playing deep centerfield in the Cover-2. So keep him at the nickel back spot and let him play to his strengths. Moving Kevin Payne back as well didn’t help, as I swear he has no arms. The guy can’t wrap up a Chipotle burrito, let alone the guy with the ball. He’s fine as a strong safety as there is still the safety valve of the deep FS to cover for him. And he hits hard, so I’d live with him as the starting SS. So there are a couple potential fixes for this: Move Peanut Tillman to FS and then draft a CB, or draft a FS and leave Tillman at CB. The first fix is a bit risky as no one knows if Tillman will succeed as a FS. But I also think that the Bears can get a great value at CB with the 18th pick, such as Wake Forrest’s Alphonso Smith or even Illinois’ Vontae Davis (if he slips). I’d be happy to roll with the experiment with either of those guys starting on the perimeter. If the second option is what you go with, they could reach for the guy who I consider to be the best FS prospect in Louis Delmas of Western Michigan. To me, this isn’t a big reach as he’s a lot better than the option of taking Alabama’s Rashad Johnson in the second round. Either way, I think you can solve this problem with those picks. I’d rate WR as the next biggest need, and I fully expect there to be value there in the first round. But first round WR’s are risky, unless they are sure fire guys like Calvin Johnson or Andre Johnson. I expect Florida’s Percy Harvin to be available, but to me, he’s too much like Devin Hester. I love his game breaking ability, but his injury history is a major concern, and he also played more of a hybrid RB/WR role in college. So I’m concerned about his ability to step to the line and play a full time WR role. I’d be a lot happier with a guy like Hakeem Nicks of North Carolina. He’s big, physical, runs good routes, and has good hands. I’m very interested to see how fast he runs at the combine. That is what will push his stock further up, or potentially down to the second round. I think Nicks is the kind of guy the Bears need, as Hester is much better suited coming out of the slot so he can avoid the jam. I’d say DE is probably the next biggest need, but I don’t know if the value is going to be there in the first round. I’d much rather see the Bears dump Adewale Ogunleye and go big after Julius Peppers. It’s going to cost a lot, but it’s worth it. The OL still needs to get younger, as I thought that Josh Beekman was the best player on that line last year. Hopefully last year’s first round pick Chris Williams will live up to his draft status, which definitely helps. But Olin Kreutz looked REALLY bad this year. He spent far too much time getting pushed into the backfield, closing down running lanes, and getting knocked to the ground too often. I hate saying this as well, as Kreutz is one of my absolute favorite players. But sometimes you have to face the facts and move on when fan favorites get past their time. Most people will say I’m crazy, but I’d be all for drafting Alex Mack from Cal at 18 overall. Is that high for a center? Maybe in most “experts” eyes, but you don’t draft based on what is considered the industry standard. You draft talent, and Mack is the best center I have seen come out of college since Kreutz. He’s a perennial Pro Bowler, and a guy who will have a distinguished 12+ year career in the league as a starter. RT is a must as Tait is also over the hill in playing years, but I think the value for this position is better had in the third round range. QB is another story all together. I’m personally OK with giving the reigns to Orton for another year, building the receivers around him, and letting him have one more chance to prove he’s the guy for this franchise. But I have to say that if Mark Sanchez somehow slips to the 18th pick (and we’ve seen it happen with Rodgers and Quinn recently), I’d be OK with drafting him. There’s also raw but talented Josh Freeman of Kansas St, but again I am more inclined to live with what’s there and draft the franchise QB next year if needed. The last position I mentioned was SLB. Nick Roach played well this year, but I’d rather have him as a valuable back up and special teams player. If someone like USC’s Brian Cushing were to somehow slip to the 18th pick, I’d be all over him. He’s the physical presence this defense has missed as a blitzer from the OLB position, and he’d be the perfect compliment to the speedy Briggs and Urlacher. To me, this is a make or break year for Jerry Angelo. His record has been a bit sketchy since he’s been here, but I’m also willing to let him prove himself. He’s great at seeing defensive talent, but I’m a bit concerned with his ability to find offensive players that can make an impact. I’m also not giving Lovie a pass either, as I think that he’s not done the best job of getting young guys on the filed and letting them learn by actually playing. No one becomes an All Pro by watching from the sidelines. At some point, he has to take the training wheels off guys like Earl Bennett and let him play whether he makes mistakes or big plays.

No comments:

Post a Comment