Sunday, February 22, 2009

Papa John’s Bowl: North Carolina State vs Rutgers

Rutgers:

Mike Teel, QB – Teel is a tall, prototypical pocket passer with a big arm. That’s where it stops though. He’s not very accurate, and when he gets pressured, he falls apart. I don’t think he’s draftable, but someone might take a 7th round flier on him.

Courtney Green, FS- Green is a four year starter at FS, which is what you ideally want in the last line of your defense. But for being so experienced, he makes some unforgivable mental mistakes. Some teams will love his experience, but I don’t think it matters. He’s not instinctive enough to be an NFL free safety.

Kenny Britt, WR- I think Britt made the wrong choice in coming out early. I’ve never met the guy, but I don’t like his attitude. How can I make a statement like this without knowing the guy? You can see it in his play on the field. Britt is the type of perimeter WR NFL teams look for. He’s 6’4” 215lbs, he seems fast enough, runs decent routes, and has the size to be physical. There are just two things he does which absolutely drive me nuts. He takes a bit too long to get to top speed, which happens to taller WRs. I’ll be watching his shuttle times at the combine closely to see if maybe I was wrong when I saw him play. The biggest issue I have is that he body catches far too often. For those that don’t know what I mean by ‘body catching’, he lets balls get into his body and he traps the ball between his shoulder pads and arms, instead of extending his arms and using his hands to catch the ball. I’m sure some team will like his physical attributes and take him in the second round. I wouldn’t go any higher than the mid third round for him.

Tiquan Underwood, WR- Underwood is less talented physically than Britt, but I think he’s a more polished WR. He’s a late rounder at best, but he runs very good routes and knows how to find soft spots in zone coverage.

NC State:

Russell Wilson, QB – Wilson is only a Freshman, but he’s someone to watch over the next couple of years. He has good feet, a very good arm, and he’s fairly accurate. He has time to develop as well, so I would assume he will only get better. The only thing that will be an issue for Wilson is that he doesn’t seem to have ideal height, which will hurt come draft day. But he does have the athleticism that I could see him playing another position in the NFL like WR.

Andre Brown, RB- Brown didn’t play in the first half due to breaking a team rule the week of the bowl game. So right away, questions about his character need to be answered. There is nothing to question about his game on the field though. He is a very tough north-south runner. He hits the hole between the tackles, makes a cut, and can break the long runs. I think Brown is the type of RB who will slip to the fourth or fifth round come draft day and will make an immediate impact.

No comments:

Post a Comment