Monday, February 16, 2009

New Orleans Bowl: Southern Miss vs Troy

Southern Miss:

Gerald McRath, LB- I’m a big fan of McRath, and I think he’s flying too far under the radar. I even like McRath better than OSU MLB James Laurinitis. McRath played ILB in a 3-4 style defense at Southern Miss, but I’m not sure this is his best position. He’s a bit undersized and lacks the bulk to take on blockers head on, but that can be adjusted for in the right defense. If not an ILB in a 3-4, then I could definitely see him moving to a WLB in a traditional 4-3. He has great speed, very good instincts, he’s a good blitzer, he can cover in the pass game, and he has elite level closing speed. McRath will probably slip to the early second round, but I expect him to start right away and be a difference maker. He’s just a very good all around LB who can play in a multitude of defensive schemes. If he blows the combine up, expect to hear all of the draft experts start mentioning his name as a late first round pick.

Shane Nelson, TE- I really like Nelson as well. He has a great combination of size and speed, and is effective as a run blocker (which is rare for a guy who most would consider as an offensive weapon). I originally wrote in my notes that he’d shine in the All Star games, and that is exactly what Nelson did at the Senior Bowl (which will be covered in full later on). Nelson has moved his way into early second round range, and could be a sleeper to move into the late first for a team like Philadelphia (which would be a great fit).

Troy:

Sherrod Martin, CB- Martin is the best of what Troy had to offer for draft eligible players. Martin might not fit well at CB in the pros, and actually may make more of an impact as a FS. He’s a late round pick that will be a back up and provide some depth on special teams, but I don’t believe he’s starting material.

No comments:

Post a Comment